Thursday, February 19, 2009

only too damned well

I only came in here to inquire the way to the nearest cinema. I am a respectable woman, une femme convenable, on her way to the nearest cinema. Faites comme les autres -- that's been my motto all my life. Faites comme les autres, damn you.

And a lot he cares -- I could have spared myself the trouble. But this is my attitude to life. Please, please, monsieur et madame, mister, missis and miss, I am trying so hard to be like you. I know I don't succeed, but look how hard I try. Three hours to choose a hat; every morning an hour and a half trying to make myself look like everybody else. Every word I say has chains round its ankles; every thought I think is weighted with heavy weights. Since I was born, hasn't every word I've said, every thought I've thought, everything I've done, been tied up, weighted, and chained? And, mind you, I know that with all this I don't succeed. Or I succeed in flashes only too damned well. . . But think how hard I try and how seldom I dare. Think -- and have a bit of pity. That is, if you ever think, you apes, which I doubt.

Now the waiter has finished telling me how to get to the nearest cinema.

'Another Pernod,' I say.
Good Morning Midnight, Jean Rhys
Photo: August Shop Blog via Dank En

3 comments:

secretfragileskies said...

You're killing me with all this Rhys. Need to reread all her books now and stock up on Pernod. Thanks!

erica lorraine scheidt said...

I know, it's funny I'm posting all this gloomy Rhys when I'm in a rather sunny, upbeat state of mind...

Anonymous said...

the first two lines...and i knew.

how are you loveliest of the lovely?

i owe you a novella.

xoxo